A simple recipe with 10 ingredients!
Want that fried chicken taste and crunch without the guilt? Try this fried mushroom recipe to satisfy your craving.
Serving Size: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-6 minutes
Ingredients for Fried “Chicken” Shrooms
- 18-20 shiitake mushrooms (alternatives: oyster mushrooms or black pearl mushrooms)
- 3 cups olive oil (or use an air fryer)
- 2 cups egg replacement (Just Egg or aquafaba)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for Jalapeño Aioli
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream or mayo
- 1 lemon squeezed
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tsp jalapeño (optional)
Instructions for Fried “Chicken” Mushrooms
- Cut the stems off your mushrooms.
- Wash your mushrooms well to remove any dirt. Completely dry them.
- In a bowl, combine salt, dill, bread crumbs and flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Slice the mushrooms into rounds of your desired thickness (we slice about 1/4 inch rounds)
- Dip the mushrooms in the “egg” wash
- Immediately after, dip them in the bread crumb mixture. For best results, dip/coat one slice at a time.
- Place the dipped/coated mushrooms to the side on a plate.
- Once you’ve finished dipping/coating all the mushrooms, add 3 cups of olive oil to your deep fryer or skillet. (You can use an air fryer instead for a lower-calorie dish)
- Set oil to medium-high heat on your stove or 375 degrees in your deep fryer.
- Fry mushrooms until golden brown (2-4 minutes total). If frying in pan, flip mushrooms to fry on both sides.
- Place fried mushrooms on a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Allow mushrooms to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh dill (optional).
Instructions for Jalapeño Aioli
- Set aSqueeze the juice of 1 lemon
- Chop fresh dill
- To a bowl, add the sour cream (or mayo), dill, salt and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve with fried “chicken” mushrooms
More ways to enjoy your Fried “Chicken” Shrooms
- Fried “Chicken” Po’ Boy
- Fried Buffalo “Chicken” Sandwich
- Fried “Chicken” Dinner with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and cornbread
- Fried “Chicken” Nuggets served with ketchup and french fries